Saturday, May 25, 2013

I Want Change

Originally posted June 2012

When I found Occupy, I was thrilled to find so many people who shared my way of thinking.  Worldwide, people were gathered  together; and finally, it looked like change was coming. I heard so many inspiring messages and, for the first time, I was filled with hope.  Messages just like this short clip were shared all over:


But, as quickly as the crowds came, they subsided - there are so many reasons why that happened.  Ignorance and fear are the main ones.

Occupy has so much promise, especially because it became about so much more than just Wall Street.  It became about solving all the world's problems -  there's so much that needs to be addressed: the environment, the economy, human rights...  Reality is: the problems facing civilization are very real and very serious - our future is at stake.

The world has been overwhelmed with the same problems and we have been complaining about the same things since I was born.  Occupy gave us hope, a chance for a new beginning; for me it was an inspiration and a huge learning experience.  I learnt so many things at Occupy - the amount of knowledge I have gained is remarkable.

And after all the tents have gone...what I have realized is that change will never happen if we all just keep doing what we've always done.  The most important thing I am taking away from this experience is that I learnt that if I want things to change - I need to make change happen.

2 comments:

  1. http://globalrowingclub.com/2013/06/02/sustainable-urban-eco-community/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Occupy was brought together with unity and love and torn down with fear. If people realized how infinite we really are and that we don't have this one life, then they wouldn't have backed down, even with threat of personal safety. The whole idea of "YOLO" and "Bucket Lists" have completed the distortion of our view of how infinite we really are. i say completed because GMO's, the emasculation of femininity, and the disconnection of nature and the universe by constant technological entertainment at every angle have all added to it as well. Good post. I've always loved both those videos. :)

    ReplyDelete