Sunday, January 2, 2011

Kayaking in Victoria on New Year's Day


On New Year's Day 2011 in Victoria, British Columbia the sun was shining bright and we could not resist the urge to take our kayaks out to the Gorge in Esquimalt.  Victoria is such a vibrant city, there were people everywhere enjoying the crisp sunny day. 

My husband, Gerry and I brought along our little dog, Nounour (french for Teddy Bear) - our beloved sable fox pomeranian.  He could not wait to get out in the kayaks, on shore he proudly pranced in his yellow lifejacket. Once boarded in Gerry's kayak, Nounour made himself comfortable and watched the world around him.  He is such a special little dog, he calmly enjoys the ride, not surprising really, the gorge must seem pretty calm to him after all the trips he has been on - no white water today!


Originally from Ottawa, I had called my Dad earlier in that morning to wish him a Happy New Year and I wasn't surprised to hear that it was raining in our Nation's capital - the snow is almost all gone!  My Dad was saying that everyone he was talking to was digusted with this "Victoria weather" and how we could just take it back.  No problem, mild winters suit me just fine!  Ottawa, as far as I can remember, always had very unpredictable winters: snowy, cold, rainy, freezing rain - just a mixed bag of whatever mother nature wants to dish out. 

I have been in Victoria three years now, and, I admit, I do miss the snow sometimes but I just have to drive north a little to find it.  One thing, I must say though, is I cannot compare the lifestyles of both these capitals' residents.  Victorian's get out and enjoy their beautiful city so much more than what folks back home did.


We had so much fun yesterday, kayaking, and we met alot of wonderful and happy people.  Everywhere folks were out with their dogs and their families enjoying the sunshine.  The sdiewalks were brimming with people out walking.  We saw a group of four kayakers who enjoyed a picnic in the parc, before continuing their trip.   A couple was out playing with their cute little trick kayaks, another couple left a private club with their canoe for afternoon paddle.  Kayaking is relaxing, fun and a greatly disguised excerise - you get a work out without noticing really.  A beautiful excursion becomes a healthy outing.

It was a special treat to watch all the old cars as they paraded down Gorge Road, from Model T's purring along to roaring hot rods - the chrome glistened like sparkling diamonds.  One after the other, these restored beauties took our breath away as we watched them from our unique vantage point.



In fact we had so much fun yesterday, we did not unload the kayaks and we are going back to do it all over again today!

1 comment:

  1. Another great story someday I will see what u mean relaxing Kayaks excersise maybe this August when I come out to BC.. Donna is in Abbortsford so I dont know how far you are but it will be well worth the trip will contact you when our trip is booked until the keep writting and I will keep on reading love ya lots xoxooxox

    ReplyDelete